The string trimmers come with two types of motors. These are gas powered motors and electric powered motors. Both these trimmers have their own special utilities and qualities that enable the users to meet the specific requirements.
It would be foolishly vague to point out that a gas trimmer is better or an electric trimmer is better as both these trimmers have their own specific utilities and applications. These specific needs cannot be met by other type of lawn trimmer.
Here, we review the specific advantages and disadvantages of each of these trimmers and the applications where they will prove to be far more superior to the other type.
Gas Powered String Trimmer
• It does not need charging, the user can just fill in the fuel and start working.
• It is not limited to an area, the trimmer is free to move and can be moved to any place.
• Gas can be refilled in between the operations, making it possible to clear the lawns of sizes larger than the maximum tank capacity.
• A gas powered motor is more suitable in tough conditions, where there is very hard weed.
A gas powered trimmer has the following drawbacks.
• It operates on a very hazardous material gasoline, which is needed to be stored in your storage area.
• The gas powered motor generates more vibrations, making the motor a little uncomfortable to handle.
• It emits gases like Carbon Dioxide, etc. as an exhaust. These gasses are not good for the user as well as the environment.
• The noise and pollution of a gas powered trimmer might irritate the neighbors.
• There is a need of regular maintenance of the gas powered engine that drives the trimmer.
Special applications of gas powered string trimmers.
• Large Lawns
• Lawns or fields with tough weed
• Remote areas
Electric Powered String Trimmer
An electric powered string trimmer is of two types battery operated or cordless trimmers and corded trimmers. Both these trimmers have similar advantages and disadvantages compared to a gas trimmer.
An electric powered string trimmer has the following advantages.
• It is noise free.
• It is pollution free, there is no hazardous exhaust.
• It needs no dangerous fuel like gasoline.
• Most models of electric trimmer are maintenance free.
• There is no risk of heating the engine, as an electric motor can work for hours.
An electric powered string trimmer has the following drawbacks.
• The battery powered trimmer needs hours of prior charging before use.
• The corded models are limited by the length of their cables.
• Cannot be used in remote areas where there is improper power supply.
• Electric motors cannot cut through the toughest kinds of weeds.
Special applications of electric powered string trimmers.
• Green Zone Areas, where gas powered trimmers are banned.
• Small indoor lawns.
• Lawns with closely packed neighborhood, where your trimmer noise might irritate the neighbors.
• Homes, where there are mischievous kids who can create chaos if you store gasoline at home.
These are the different advantages, disadvantages and applications of different kinds of string trimmers. It clearly indicates that all kinds of trimmers have their own different application. So, a person needs to find out his specific requirements before purchasing a string trimmer. A trimmer might be great but it might not suite you. One needs to closely study the suitability of the model before making a purchase.